Most people will tell you to stay away from salt! Salt is bad, salt makes you fat, salt makes you bloat and retain water. But that’s not true, BAD salt is BAD for you – GOOD salt isn’t.
& by bad I mean refined table salt – good quality sea salt or Himalayan pink salt is GOOD salt and this is what you should be using it on daily basis. Salt is an ESSENTIAL MINERAL that provides magnesium which helps us with sleep, muscles recovery, balances electrolytes, & keeps the body hydrated.
However, did you know that drinking salt water alone has its benefits? I came across this few months ago when I was doing my yoga teacher training in India 🙂
We used salt water in our morning Shatkarma class to purify and cleanse our bodies through a series of different practices. But I am going to make it easy and simple for you guys and just tell you about the benefits of simply just drinking warm salt water first thing in the morning. Without having to do any asanas or inserting a tube up your nostrils!
First of all, I want to say that salt is an essential MINERAL that our body needs. We lose this whenever we go to the toilet and whenever we sweat. For instance if you did a water fast, just drink pure water, one of the reasons you will be experiencing detox symptoms is because you are losing salt through urinating, which is why some people choose to instead drink few glasses of salt water during their fast to make sure their body isn’t depleted of salt.
Okay let’s just get into the benefits of this simple drink!
- Hydration – I hear you say but I can do that by just drinking plain water! Yes true, but did you know that many people these days, where we are continuously told to drink water, are consuming too much water. I am actually guilty of it! Too much of anything is bad for you, drinking too much water puts a tremendous strain on the body and slows metabolism. Instead, listen to your body forget about what we have been told for years, if you are thirsty drink and always take small sips. Have you ever watered a plant when it is extremely dry? The water just runs out the bottom of the pot. Drinking water all the time is much the same. A little natural salt and water slows this process down and allows all the goodness of the water to be absorbed and used.
- Digestion – drink salt water stimulates hydrochloric acid and a protein-digesting enzyme both of which break down food. People will low stomach acid are unabe to digest some foods, which thus remain in their system and cause bloating, gas & food allergies. Which then makes them turn to pharmaceutical drugs which just make matters worse – instead supporting the stomach’s natural function by drinking warm salt water will resolve the issue.
- Reduce inflammation – did you know that our body has a basic requirement for salt at 1.5 teaspoons (8 grams per day). If we don’t consume this, our body shift into crisis mode. If this is prolonged it leads to circulatory damage and increased inflammation in the body.
- Improved sleep – this was new to me! but yes salt water will reduce stress and anxiety which will therefore make you sleep better at night 🙂
- Detoxification – salt water is naturally antibacterial and can help detoxify and flush the body of toxins. Many people have a buildup of undigested food in their system which slowly ferments causing bacteria to grow. Salt water helps to flush those toxins out.
- Skin health – if you suffer from dry scalp, eczema and rashes these are often symptoms of sulfur (mineral) deficiency – that of which salt water provides.
& There are many other benefits such as:
- Improved energy – when you have regular bowel movement your energy levels are high
- Reduction in muscle cramps
- Reduced blood pressure
- Reduced blood sugar
& here you have it guys – just make sure its warm salt water. Try and incorporate it into your daily morning routine. It’s best on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. This should help you stimulate your bowels and maintain a regular and help bowel movement. 🙂
P.S I personally add apple cider vinegar & lemon to the mix sometimes too! 😉
I hope you liked this post, share, comment & follow my blog to get notified to when I post next 🙂
Lots of love,